New Zealand Police increase visibility in Auckland CBD

New Zealand Police will remain highly visible across the Auckland CBD as additional staffing arrives following a fatal shooting.

A person critically injured in a shooting on Thursday night in central Auckland has died. Police have now launched a homicide investigation into the events that unfolded on Queen Street before midnight on Aug. 3.

“Today, he was taken off life support and sadly succumbed to his injuries with family beside him,” he says.

“This is a tragic outcome for all concerned, and our focus remains on locating the person responsible,” Auckland City CIB Detective Senior Sergeant Craig Bolton said in a release. “The formal process around a post-mortem and formal identification will take place, and Police will look to release further information about the man once we are in a position to do so.”

A second man hospitalized with a gunshot injury remains in a stable condition at Auckland City Hospital. A CCTV phase in the investigation is continuing and is assisting with ongoing inquiries.

The shooting follows one last month in which two people and a suspected gunman were killed at an Auckland construction site.

“As we head into the weekend and over the coming weeks, Police remain focused on ensuring people are safe and feel safe coming into the city,” Acting Superintendent Sunny Patel, Relieving Auckland City District Commander said in an announcement. “We acknowledge recent incidents will be alarming for those who live, work, or come into the city to visit.”

Palazzo Vecchio
About Sightseers’ Delight 506 Articles
Sightseers’ Delight started publishing in June 2016. The site, published by The DeFeo Groupe, collects and curates content about places where historical events large and small happened. The site builds off the legacy of The Travel Trolley, which launched in June 2009. The site aimed to be a virtual version of the trolley tours offered in so many cities.