DULUTH, Ga. — The Southeastern Railway Museum will honor the history of the caboose during a revamped and expanded Caboose Days in April.
The museum, Georgia’s Official Transportation History Museum, will host the family-friendly event from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 4, and Sunday, April 5.
Special features for the day include:
Everyone who pre-orders their tickets for the event will be entered into a raffle. The museum will select several winners, and prizes include:
- A yearlong membership to the museum
- Railroad-themed artwork from the museum’s archives
- A signed copy of “The Memphis, Clarksville & Louisville Railroad: A History”
- An Aqua-Tots Swim School backpack that includes an Aqua-Tots t-shirt, Aqua-Tots towel, goggles, and a free month of swim lessons – twice a week
This year’s Caboose Days will feature a community spotlight with information and craft booths featuring community organizations. Confirmed participants include:
- Aqua-Tots Swim Schools
- Fast Track 5K race in downtown Duluth
As part of the event, and included in regular museum admission, attendees can enjoy live music. Performers include:
- Saturday, April 4: Young Again Band will be performing songs by Neil Young and others from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday, April 5: TBD
Younger attendees can participate in an art “contest” and create their own caboose artwork.
Post-event, the parents of budding artists are invited to share the creations on the museum’s Facebook page. The museum plans to share submitted artwork on its social channels and website and will select top submissions as winners, who will win tickets to return to the museum.
Cabooses & Hoboes: Life on the Rails
Todd DeFeo, author of books on the Western & Atlantic and the Memphis, Clarksville & Louisville railroads, will present information about life on the rails. His presentation, which will be delivered from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. both days, will showcase workers in cabooses to hobos who rode the rails and highlight lesser-known anecdotes.
More Specials for the Day
This year’s Caboose Days will feature several other special events, including:
- The museum’s HO scale layout will be running special trains featuring cabooses
- Guests can purchase rides on the museum’s antique handcar
For more information, please visit SoutheasternRailwayMuseum.org.