The 1,500-square-foot museum is located in a replica of the city’s 1910 train depot. The museum first opened in 1992, and it moved to its current location, in a replica of the former Smyrna train depot, in 1999.
Earlier this year, the family of Leon McElveen, a Smyrna resident and local historian, donated a prized model of a Civil War Shoupade fort to the museum. The model will be displayed in the updated museum.
The Smyrna Historical Society will host a grand opening from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 17. For more information, visit smyrnahistoricalsociety.org.