It is quite simple. You cannot bring a loaded gun through the TSA security checkpoint and onto an airplane.
Yet, travelers seem to have trouble heeding that simple warning, new numbers from the feds reveal.
The TSA said its agents discovered 3,391 firearms in carry-on bags at checkpoints across the country in 2016. That is an average of nine firearms per day and a roughly 28 percent increase in firearm discoveries from the total of 2,653 in 2015.
A whopping 83 percent of the guns TSA agents discovered in 2016 were loaded.
The five airports where TSA officers detected the most guns at checkpoints in 2016 were:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International with 198
- Dallas/Fort Worth International with 192
- George Bush Intercontinental at Houston with 128
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International with 101
- Denver International with 98
The TSA said these same airports were in the top five for guns at checkpoints in 2014 and 2015.