Type of Attraction
The historic Montgomery County Courthouse in downtown Clarksville, Tennessee, dates to after the city’s great fire of 1878. Depending on the source, it is either the county’s fourth or sixth courthouse. It was built in 1878-79 to replace an edifice destroyed in the fire, which destroyed much of the city. The “new” courthouse was damaged several times, including during a 1900 fire and a 1999 tornado. Following the tornado, court operations moved to a temporary location on Legion Street (now Strawberry Alley) before moving into its current location. Today, the historic courthouse houses county government offices.