Basilica di San Marco
The Basilica di San Marco (formally the Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of Saint Mark) was likely built starting in 1063. The Italo-Byzantine and Gothic-inspired cathedral, unlike most others in Italy, is famous for its opulent design and gold ground mosaics, both symbols of Venetian wealth and power. That spawned its nickname Chiesa d’Oro (Church of gold), by which it has been known since the 11th century. It initially served as the chapel of the Doge (the head of the Venetian Republic). It has been the only cathedral in the city since 1807.